Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Super Summary by Maria Carmen King

Why Don’t Students Like School?
When I chose this book, I thought it would be about strategies or tools for teachers to use when we know the reasons that students had for not liking school, so when I began reading it I felt disappointed. As I read the book’s chapters I discovered that I like it and that it contains very good and valuable information. The book is about the mind of the child and how it works.

Mr. Willingham gives a clear explanation and reasoning to every concept he presents. He focuses on the cognitive learning and difficulties some people experience concentrating and thinking. From the first chapter to the last, which it is dedicated to teachers, Mr. Willingham gives reasons for problem, ideas, and how to fix it. One of my favorite parts on this book is the “Implications for the Classroom” part that he includes in every chapter, which I found very useful.

I found myself relating to the concept of this book when I started with this class. I was so overwhelmed by my incomprehension of what I was doing and the quantity of work I had. That fear I had, could be the same fear many students have in school with certain subjects that are new to them.

Reading this book was good for me because it made me realize how difficult is for some students the whole concept of learning and how different every mind works. I like the concepts of this book and the ideas to solve different problems. I know that I will use this book as a reference in my classroom when problems approach or when I feel that the concept I am teaching is not going as I thought it would.

No comments:

Post a Comment